The Mobile Giving Foundation (MGF), headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, was founded in 2007 by veterans of the wireless industry who wanted to harness the immense power of wireless communications to empower non-profit organizations. The concept was simple: give the 250 million American wireless users a single “Mobile Giving Channel” over which they could receive and respond to appeals from worthy causes.
Specifically, MGF’s founders envisioned themselves as the organizational element that would permit charitable giving over the networks of US wireless carriers. Their goals were to develop and manage carrier standards for participation; ensure compliance with all laws and regulations concerning charitable giving; certify the participation of Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs) and their campaigns; manage message delivery and billing solutions across all carriers; and act as a billing settlement and records clearinghouse between carriers and participating charities.
Since its launch, MGF has achieved 501 (C) (3) tax-exempt status, registered in all states to undertake charitable solicitations, enlisted numerous wireless industry participants, established relationships with major NPOs and won the support of wireless industry associations.
Board of Directors
- John Graham, Chairman
- Jim Manis, Founder
- Mark McDowell, Partner, Acta Wireless
- Fabrice Sergent, CEO, Cellfish Media
- Brad Horwitz, President, Trilogy International
- Brian Ashby, Associate General Counsel, Verizon Wireless
- Michael O’Brien, SVP Business Development, Syniverse Technologies
- Tom Wheeler, former CEO of the CTIA and current partner of Core-Capital
- Mike Buhrmann, Partner, 1024 Partners
- Sally Martin, former Grants Manager, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Paul Reddick, CEO of Handmark and former Vice President of Sprint PCS
- Lisa-Anne Uhrmacher, Sprint and Advisor to the Tug McGraw Foundation
- Anne Schelle, Actium Advisors
- Wayne Irwin, President of the Americas, Acision
- Richard Siber, President & CEO, Siber Consulting
- Paul Palmieri, President & CEO, Millennial Media
- Louis Gump, Vice President Mobile, CNN/Turner Broadcasting (former member of the MGF Board of Directors)
- Jeffrey Glass, Venture Partner, Bain Capital Ventures (former member of the MGF Board of Directors)
- Mike Silva, former COO, MGF; CEO & Founder, KnuVu
- Jay Emmet, GM, Openmarket and SVP, Amdocs
- Albe Angel, CEO, Give on the Go
- Kurt Eide, Executive Producer, I.D. Studios, Inc.
Foundation Management Team
- Jim Manis, Founder and Board Member
- Sonia Vahedian, Chief Operating Officer
- Joe Manis, Director, Charity and Partner Operations
- Becky Shanafelt, Accountant
- Scott Delacourt, Wiley Rein